Who is the Oncology Section?
Our association consists of physical therapists and physical therapist assistants managing the musculoskeletal, neuromuscular, integumentary and cardiopulmonary rehabilitative needs of patients resulting from the treatment of active cancer disease. This encompasses acute secondary sequelae of cancer treatments such as surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy as well as long-term secondary sequelae of treatments and palliative care.
The Mission and Vision of the Oncology Section
Our vision is to optimize movement and quality of life of individuals impacted by cancer and chronic illness. We envision a society where:
- Physical therapists are recognized as practitioners of choice in cancer and HIV rehabilitation.
- Patients have unencumbered access to physical therapist services.
- An abundance of rigorous research informs clinical practice.
- Entry-level practitioners possess a foundational knowledge of oncology rehabilitation.
- Physical therapists are valued as integral partners of the inter-professional oncologic team.
- Culturally diverse physical therapists in cancer and HIV rehabilitation meet the needs of patients in a culturally affirming manner.
- Board-certified physical therapists expand the body of knowledge and advance oncologic practice.
- The Section collaborates with inter-professional coalitions to advance best practice in cancer and HIV rehabilitation throughout the lifespan.
Laura Sheridan, PT, DPT
Nominating Committee Chair
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
Special Interest Groups
Lesli Bell, PT
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Shana Erin Harrington, PT, PhD (15-17)
Melissa Eden, PT, DPT
Mary Fisher, PT, MSPT, PhD
Mary Lou Galantino, PT, PhD, MSCE
Laura Gilchrist, PT, PhD
Elizabeth Sue Hile, PT, PhD
David M. Kietrys, PT, PhD
Tori Marchese, PT, PhD
Kiri Ness, PT, PhD
Bryan Spinelli, PT, MS
Editor, Rehabilitation Oncology
Cindy Pfalzer, PT, PhD, FAPTA (15-19)
Mary Fisher, PT, MSPT, PhD
Steve Wechsler, PT, DPT, NCS
Mary Calys, PT
Maggie Rinehart-Ayres, PT, PhD (17-19)
Stephen Wechsler, PT, DPT (16-18)
Jackie Drouin, PT, PhD
MEMBER ENGAGEMENT/LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT
Tiffany Kendig, PT, DPT, MPH (2:17-19)
New York, NY
Bryan Spinelli, PT, PhD (17-19)
Legislative & Payment
Jena Colon, PT (16-18)
APTA Board Liaison
Carol Oddo, PT, MS
Student Assembly Liaison
1055 N Fairfax Street, Suite 205
Alexandria, VA 22314
800-765-7848, ext. 7107
Why should you join the Oncology Section?
As a partner of the Oncology Section, you will become eligible for a variety of benefits such as:
Evidence-based research, an electronic subscription to "Rehabilitation Oncology", free SIG membership options, access to members only pages, and more.
The Oncology Section, APTA has several course offerings looking for partners to host. The host facility will be chosen based on the guarantee that they can draw a minimum of 20 registrants.