August 17 - 22, 2017
Grand Haven, Michigan
The Comprehensive Management of Peripheral Edema
This evidence-based course on management of edema, including lymphedema was developed by the Oncology Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. Successful participants will receive certification in the management of edema from the Oncology Section and will be designated as Certified Edema Specialists (CES). This certification will be part of the new Certificate of Achievement in Oncology Physical Therapy (CAOPT) through the Oncology Section.
Dates: Thursday, August 17, 2017 through Tuesday, August 22, 2017 (6 days)
Who Should Attend: Physical and Occupational Therapists and PT/OT Assistants
Course Description: Peripheral edema is a common impairment secondary to many medical diagnoses encountered by physical and occupational therapists across all practice settings. Differential diagnosis of the cause of the edema is essential in the clinical reasoning process that leads to appropriate intervention. This case-based course will address the pathophysiology, examination, evaluation and clinical management of peripheral edemas of the upper and lower extremities, head, neck and genital areas. The course utilizes an online format to present didactic material that must be completed prior to attendance at a regionally located lab. Active learning strategies include small and large group discussions of patient cases to facilitate integration of the didactic material into patient care. Feedback will be provided during supervised labs for manual lymphatic drainage and multiple layer compression bandaging. Joint and soft tissue mobilizations and therapeutic exercise will be incorporated into case discussions and labs. A Certificate of Achievement will be awarded to participants who demonstrate competency in bandaging and manual lymphatic drainage skills.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Develop a personalized plan of care for management of individuals with peripheral edema across all practice settings
- Describe the anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology of the lymphatic system that results in peripheral edema
- Utilize principles of differential diagnosis and clinical decision making to determine the cause or contributing factors resulting in peripheral edema
- Identify clinical presentations where referral to other health care professionals is indicated
- Perform an examination and evaluation of the lymphatic system to define the patient problem and guide interventions
- Safely and effectively implement appropriate interventions for lymphatic system dysfunction of the head, neck, upper extremity, genital and lower extremity areas
- Demonstrate competency in manual lymphatic drainage skills
- Demonstrate competency in multiple layer bandage compression skills with and without foam
- Select safe and effective exercises for edema management
- Integrate joint and soft tissue mobilizations into comprehensive patient interventions
- Select appropriate compression garments for day and nighttime use
- Instruct the patient in risk reduction, prevention and long-term management of edema
- Discuss best evidence for examination and intervention procedures
- Appropriately document treatment progress and outcome measures
- Discuss billing and marketing issues for management of a lymphedema clinic
Course Requirements and Fees:
The certification process includes an online pre-course study and 6 days of hands-on, onsite learning. The online pre-course study is approximately 16 hours, organized into 4 modules. This state-of-the art didactic material was developed by the Oncology Section and offered online by Educata. The onsite portion of the certification process is 6 days.
Fee for Online Portion of Course (paid directly to Educata):
Regular Price - $539.01
Bundled Price - $377.37
Fee for Onsite Portion of Certification (paid directly to Generation Care):
Oncology Section Member - $1,900
APTA Member - $2,000
Non-Member - $2,200
16760 Lincoln Street
Grand Haven, MI 49417
616-935-3300; Course coordinator (Holly) cell: 231-750-7966
Marisa Perdomo, PT, DPT, MS, CCES is an Assistant Professor in Clinical Physical Therapy at the University of Southern California and has over 30 years of clinical practice focusing on orthopedic, oncologic and lymphatic dysfunctions. She received her lymphedema training and certification from the Foldi Clinic in Hinterzarten Germany in 1997. Dr. Perdomo also has extensive training in all areas of orthopedic manual therapy via the North American Institute of Manual Therapy. She received her Master's and Clinical Doctorate degrees at the University of Southern California where she developed a physical therapy practice for cancer survivors at the USC Faculty Practice. Dr. Perdomo integrates manual lymphatic mobilization techniques with her orthopedic manual therapy background and provides a unique intervention protocol for individuals with orthopedic related peripheral edema.
At USC Dr. Perdomo developed the curricular content regarding the management of oncological related impairments that includes evaluation, examination and treatment of peripheral edema. Additional teaching responsibilities include Differential Diagnosis, Cardiopulmonary and Medical Conditions, and Pharmacology. She also serves on the steering committee for the USC Institute of Integrated Health and has developed yoga based physical therapy interventions for individuals recovering from cancer. Her scholarly interests include oncology rehabilitation, and management of peripheral edema. Publications include systematic reviews of outcome measures for survivors of breast cancer.
Accommodation and Transportation to and from Course:
There are 2 nearby airports:Â
1) Muskegon - flies United, small airport - 15 minutes from Grand Haven.
2) Grand Rapids International airport â€“ 45 minutes from course
Suggested Hotels in the Perimeter Area:
Book early - Grand Haven is a big tourist location on the Lake Michigan beaches - beautiful! And this is Coast Guard festival time, too!
Holiday Inn-Spring Lake: 855-516-1090 http://www.reservations.com/hotel/holiday-inn-grand-haven-spring-lake?rmcid=rcc11&gclid=CMu9vYPxydMCFY62wAodWcAPIg
Baymont Inn in Grand haven: 844-433-6021 http://www.reservations.com/hotel/holiday-inn-grand-haven-spring-lake?rmcid=rcc11&gclid=CMu9vYPxydMCFY62wAodWcAPIg
For questions, registration and to arrange payment by credit card or check, please contact:
16760 Lincoln Street
Grand Haven, MI 49417
Best way to reach me is email: firstname.lastname@example.org or cell 231-750-7966